Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Someone needs your prayers

San Diego and the Tour de Cove was fantastic, and I can't wait to tell you about it and share photos and stories. I'll need some time to upload my photos and play catch up after being gone.

In the meantime, I know of someone who could really use your prayers and positive energy.

I follow Fatcyclist's blog closely and have been for about 9 months. He's very funny, very real, and going through a very, very tough time right now as his wife's cancer seems to be deteriorating quickly. He has three young children. After my trip to Interbike last month I posted a photo of Fatty and me - one of the people I was so proud to have met (even more than Lance):


Please go read Fatty's (Elden Nelson) post this morning, as he contemplates the next step for his wife.  That step is Hospice.  I wanted to share with you here the comment I left on his post (amongst the hundreds of comments) in the hopes that it gives you all pause to think. When someone like Elden Nelson posts his feelings and thoughts on a blog for so many strangers in the world to read, there is a message in there for all of us. We can all become better people in the process. Elden, who I've only met that one time last month in Las Vegas, is one of the most amazing people on this earth (read back on some of his other posts and I'm sure you'll agree) and through his sharing of his ordeal as his wife has become sicker and sicker, he has affected the universe of blog readers and cyclists in a deeply personal way.

I post as cyclingeurope.  Here was my comment:
Who out there in the blogosphere has shared so much of himself, of his family's trials, of his own personal grief and tough decisions, and with so much compassion, as Fatcyclist? No one! And who has gathered such a wide fan base because of this sharing and compassion? Fatcyclist! You are truly an amazing human being Elden.

Your time with Susan yesterday was a gift to you. And you are such a gift to her and to your children. And I want you to know you are a gift to every one of us reading your posts.  I can't imagine a single one of us walking away from reading these posts, especially this morning, who doesn't transform our sorrow for your family's experience into doing something nice for someone else, or being kinder as a result, and into saying more prayers about everything, not just for you and your family, but our own families or people we've lost touch with. That's the effect you have on me, and I am sure, on the world.

Hospice is a transformational experience. You will meet people you swear have hidden their wings and halos, and you will know you have done the right thing.

WIN NELSON FAMILY!
You probably won't be able to read his post without crying, but you will be a changed person, especially if you read some of the comments left by people from around the world.

WIN SUSAN!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Jennifer, thanks for sharing and you were right - it was impossible to read without tears.

Shame Cat said...

Thanks for sharing indeed. I kept reading on after that and walked away with deep inspiration (through my tears) on his later post also: http://www.fatcyclist.com/2008/10/29/a-chance-to-talk/